Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Perspective on perspectives

Why is it that whenever I read another person's blog or a discourse I get so influenced by it that whenever I write my own piece, my chain of thoughts continuously steer in that direction? Their thoughts and ideas just permeate into mine. Now this is a tee bit scary, because either my perspectives are so flimsy that they shake whenever I'm introduced to a new idea or because I haven't put that amount of thought into life and aspects affecting it.

I'm glad that I've accepted this flaw in me, because I'm living in denial half the time. A superior attitude at an inferior status is, after all, the worst situation you could be in. But where do I go from here? I can stop reading altogether and prevent my mind from expanding its horizons in an attempt to find my own thoughts and voice which merely aren't "manufactured", but my own
Or I can just find my little voice in their thoughts.

But in pursuing the former, I'll block out the array of thoughts that millions of philosophers have passed down through the generations as a result of pondering over situations and facts of live. I call them philosophers for I can see their love for knowledge the quest to search for the "unpondered" . If I follow the latter, then I'll loose out on the joy of being me, where my logic and my reasoning are just mine and not of someone else's . Of course, I'll be glad if they share the same perspective, but at least the perspective is going to be mine.

I guess the only answer to this is that I question myself. Every time I'm introduced to an idea or a thought, I analyse it objectively and don't let my emotions play havoc with my mind . Thats what happens most of the times. I see their clarity in my chaos. The chaos in my head because of these silly emotions. But its so ironical, because I can't live without these very bursts of joy and anger. So then its a fight between facts and feelings, isn't it? I should learn to disagree or agree calmly and not be the rebel that I am. I should let the thoughts invade my mind so that I can reason with them and fight with them. Coming to conclusions at the drop of a hat or simply running away from something that attacks my line of thinking is something I really can do without. Ignorance really is bliss.

The mind has to be flexible enough to have a mature perspective. I'm stressing on mature because half the time we make false judgments based on our naivety due to the lack of experience. The experiences which make our perspectives richer, but also more rigid in a way. So let me get this straight? You do need more perspectives and views , so that you can build on your own. But you can't let them appeal to your emotional side. In this world were an opinion springs up every few nanoseconds, can I be strong enough to reason with all of them or just accept them as they are because others say so. Do I really need to have a perspective on everything, every time, or can I afford to be indifferent on some occasions? Do I really have to be so critical about everything that surrounds me? At least in an attempt to elevate my thoughts, I am building up on my ability to reason. Well these questions still daunt me and the road to "enlightenment" is indeed tough. But would I be erring on the edge of complacency if I were to say that at least Ive started caring?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The process of culminating perspective is synonyms to growing - with every passing day you harness millions of opinions and perspectives but only produce one which is your own. Think of them as building blocks of your skyscraper which never stops growing and one which also cannot stand high without these building blocks. And yes, being indifferent is considered as having a perspective :)