Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Deadlines

Deadlines. The name exudes a sense of horror every time I listen to it. Well it isn't surprising considering the fact that it has the word DEAD in it. We're following deadlines nearly everyday in our lives. "I want this file in by tomorrow" , "Wrap up this work in two hours" , "have to finish this chapter today" . So is that all that there is left of life? Has life just become one deadline after the other?

We all hate deadlines, but very frankly can't live without them either. They're like those ghastly medicines the doctors forced down my throat. Yes, I needed them to live. Thats what these deadlines do. We need them every single day of our lives. They help give life a direction, structure and sense. But while doing so, they rob us of one thing. Spontaneity. What fun is life if everything's so planned out? They rob us of the same happiness they give. Ironical na? Well what isnt? Only when you start pondering over these intricacies do you realise the ironies inherent in them.

But a question still remains. Why can't I respect deadlines set by me, and only take deadlines set by others very seriously? Is it my innate desire to pacify everyone or is it just because I don't take myself seriously . I would hate to consider both these prospects because they seem equally disastrous. But wait! Why is appeasing others so disastrous? I mean, shouldn't we help our fellow brothers and be as selfless as possible? Aha!! But there's a catch! I should only do so till I'm not hurting my own interests. But that means I'll have to be a tad bit selfish. But is it wrong?
Everyone's selfish after all.

Well, I've deviated from the topic (as usual) and have drawn an uncanny relationship between deadlines and being selfish. So once we complete our deadlines, we can be as selfless as possible. But then again, deadlines never do end and being selfless only counts when others need help, not when you're free. I shall ponder over this fact and procrastinate a little more and miss yet a another deadline. Notice how selfless I am.

No comments: