Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Closer Home.

"You can never tell what people have inside them, until you start taking it away"

I never thought I'd understand how relevant this statement is when I read it in Shantaram, until now. I was walking back home in the bitter cold, with layers and layers of warm woollens piled up on me, with these Bollywood songs blasting in my ears, when it hit me.I realised how much I miss my people, my food, my humidly annoying weather,my family, my overpopulated buses, my spicy food, my bollywood dramas, My Country. Its funny how I've had to come so far away from all this to realise its worth. How I've had to be thrown into another country, forced to eat their food and mingle with them, to realise how much my country means to me. No, dont get me wrong, its not an aversion from any particular country that has drawn me towards mine. Its the love and respect thats surfaced, because I can't take my country for granted.

And it has come naturally over these past months. My overenthusiastic interest in the IPL, following Bollywood with an even closer eye, dancing on songs I never imagined myself dancing on. These may seem very superficial, but these are the only strings that keep me attached to what I love, who I love and where I belong. Because you dont know what you've got till its gone.

And no matter where I stay on this globe, No matter where my wanderlust feet take me. It will be a journey to bring me closer home. Full Circle.

No comments: